Pages

February 4, 2013

I Got Here As Quick As I Could


By Carla Stewart



I grew up in Texas and remember the response people often gave when asked how long they’d lived there. 

“I wasn’t born in Texas, but I got here as quick as I could.”

That’s what writing is for me. I wasn’t born with a pencil in my hand and didn’t even choose English or Creative Writing as my major in college. In fact, I became a nurse, married, and had four sons. But the desire to write novels like those I loved to read was a constant companion. Some day. Some day.

But some day didn’t come until I turned fifty, and all of a sudden my life flashed before my eyes. I knew I’d better get cracking if I was ever to hold a published book in my hand. It took ten years until I had that privilege. But there’s no feeling on earth like it. This spring, my fourth novel will release, and I’m looking forward to it as much as the first.

Was it worth it to wait? For me, yes. Because I’m so focused (obsessed) with what I’m currently doing, I’m afraid I would have been a terrible mother and not enjoyed my family and the world of nursing that have influenced what I do write. Nor would I have the rich life experiences to draw on or as many insights into human nature. I’ve certainly read a lot more books and probably have a better “sixth sense” for what makes a story resonate.

Would I recommend that other late bloomers give it a try? Absolutely! Now more than ever we need to immortalize the stories from our past, let those voices in our heads—whether they have a country twang or a big city drawl—come to life in stories. Now is not the time to let fear keep you from following your dreams. With all the resources available today for learning the craft and connecting with people as well as the many avenues toward publication, there’s no reason not to give it your best shot. I have a friend who published her first book at age 87. I couldn’t be more proud of her!

I wasn’t born a writer, but I got here as quick as I could. And I’m glad I did.
_________________________________________________________________ 
Carla Stewart is the award-winning author of three novels. Her newest one, Stardustis the story of a young mom in the 1950s who must make a new life for herself and her daughters when her unfaithful husband drowns in the bayou. Carla’s writing reflects her passion for times gone by as she endeavors to take readers to that place in their hearts called “home.” Carla Stewart loves to connect with readers at www.carlastewart.com.Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/chasinglilacs/   My website: www.carlastewart.comTwitter: https://twitter.com/ChasingLilacs 
Broken Wings (FaithWords), 2012 Finalist Oklahoma Book Award, 2012 Inspirational Reader's Choice Award (RWA)Chasing Lilacs (FaithWords), Finalist Oklahoma Book Award, 2011 Best Fiction Book, OWFICOMING MAY, 2013 - Sweet Dreams (FaithWords)

No comments:

Post a Comment