Pages

May 13, 2013

Why I love Cross-Genre



By Gillian Hamer


Recently my second indie-published novel Closure, released. This is my second novel that combines modern day crime thrillers with paranormal and historical elements.

I’ve been told that cross-genre is frowned on in the publishing world, as people like to pigeon-hole books and authors. I have to say that hasn’t been my experience, and my stubborn-as-a-mule, desperate-to-prove-I’m-right side wants to prove that I’m not alone.
I have no objection to writing straight crime as I love reading crime. I was raised on a diet of Enid Blyton, into Agatha Christie, onto PD James and all the greats. But some part of me adores adding the little extras that no one expects to get in a novel dealing with violent crimes and murder. I adore researching into factual history of the surroundings where I base my novels. And I love creating fictional characters to work within some of that historical element, and if I can run a parallel thread with the modern day story, so that the characters effortless interweave right up to the denouement … then to me I’ve got all the makings of a good book.

Besides, even when I listen to publishers tell me that crime readers read crime, horror readers read horror, historical readers … you get the drift … I’m inwardly shaking my head hard enough for it to fly across the room.

So far the majority of reviews of The Charter have been amazing, better than I could ever have hoped. Eleven five star reviews on Amazon, with nearly everyone getting exactly what I was trying to achieve. Even after KDP Free promotions, while ready for a deluge of negative comments, I’ve been delighted with the feedback, and I am increasingly certain that publishers have got it wrong. Not everyone wants to know exactly what they’re reading. Some people like the surprise element, they like experiencing that tilt of perspective, when what they thought they knew slips away from them.

So, this month I start the ball rolling again, with my Closure - this time the paranormal element concerns spirit guides and the hotly-debated topic of reincarnation.

Again, it won’t please everyone, but if one person who reads the book and studies the research I spent almost a year compiling, changes any preconceptions, I’ll consider it a job well done. If one reader tells me that they were captivated by this little boy’s story I shall be blown away. And if I manage to create characters – both real and spiritual – who impact with readers as much as I achieved in my first novel … well, you just know it’s going to whet my appetite for my next cross-genre adventure.
______________________________________________________________________
Born in the industrial Midlands, Gillian's heart has always yearned for the wilds of North Wales and the pull of the ocean.A Company Director for twenty years, she has written obsessively for over a decade, predominantly in the crime genre. She has completed six full length novels and numerous short stories. After completing a creative writing course, she decided to take her writing to the next level and sought representation. She is a columnist for Words with Jam literary magazine, a regular theatre goer and avid reader across genres. WEBSITE : www.gillianhamer.com
TWITTER : @gillyhamer


1 comment:

  1. This is a topic that's close to my heart... Take care! Where are your contact details though?

    my blog - windows registry cleaner

    ReplyDelete