Pages

July 25, 2016

Memoir Writing – Courage Required


By Maureen Hager


I have one of those stories – you know the ones where others gasp as you are telling it. For years, I lived with the shame, guilt, and condemnation of my past mistakes. It was time for me to confront the past and move forward.

A misguided search for love and acceptance led me into a world of drugs and life in a motorcycle gang. Caught up in a violent gang war, I became a victim of two gunshot wounds when a rival gang opened fire with M16 rifles. Within those few seconds, the crippling bullets forever changed my life.

In my determination to start a new life, I encountered the hope and healing of God’s transforming love. Often people would say to me, “You ought to write a book.” I always balked at the idea, after all; I’m not a writer. I wouldn’t know where to start, and the thought of it was so overwhelming.

Eventually, I did begin to write. I was passionate about taking my story and using the scars of brokenness to offer hope and healing to other broken people.

What would be required to begin writing my memoir?

Courage to be transparent: If I was not completely honest and sincere, who would I be fooling? How could I give a credible account of my story?

Vulnerability: A belief that your story matters and a willingness to unlock painful memories.  

Trust the healing process: Deliverance happens as we share our personal trials and triumphs. 
                                           
My introduction to becoming a writer was literally a cry-out to the Lord, “Help me!” This has been my heart’s cry with each new chapter. I remind myself that the Lord would not call me without equipping me.

I searched the internet for writing resources and found helpful blogs and advice. I attended my first Christian writers’ conference and brought with me an unsure heart. In my hand, I held my book’s outline and prologue willing to offer it up for critique.

It was at this first conference that I met many incredible writers and editors. What a relief for this newbie writer to know much-needed support would be available along this writing journey. 

Because of their generous hearts, I not only learned writing tips, but I gained the confidence that my story needed to be told.

I am a perpetual writing student. I am so grateful for the help from authors who are willing to share their experiences and to give a little shout of encouragement along the way.

Writing my memoir has been a great challenge and a great blessing. I know you have a story to tell, do you have the courage to do so?

Write from the Heart
___________________________________________________________________
Maureen Hager is a survivor. Her passion lies in empowering women to receive healing from their brokenness through the love of Christ. Once a wounded victim in a biker gang war, her painful journey led her to a place of restoration. Her testimony of deliverance and hope has impacted women of all ages. She is currently writing her first book based on her journey through emotional, spiritual and physical trauma. Website: www.MaureenHager.com Twitter: @Maureen_Hager Blog: www.OutoftheBrokenness.com  Facebook: Maureen Hager – Out of the Brokenness  Pinterest: Maureen Hager 

   


No comments:

Post a Comment