Pages

August 16, 2017

Planning Characters


By Lizzie T. Leaf


Over a year ago stuff happened that drained my passion for writing. I buried myself in other things, and pushed aside the stories whispering in my ear to the point they stopped.

I finally worked up the energy to look at some of the books I received my rights back on, which happens when publishers shut down, and discovered the need to have a number of them re-edited. 

That is when the whispers started again.

During the quiet period I had read articles on ways to write a book. A lot of them were a bit different than my original process, some a lot, but I decided to try a number of them. You know what happened? Not much. Most of them didn’t work for me. But, they did give me food for thought.

So now I’m back to my original working style with a few tweaks. I start with a story idea and building the characters. I love strong characters that carry a story, and yes, there have to be other parts to move the story along. But, if you don’t have characters that do get into situations, learn, and grow, then not much happens and some readers will have problems connecting to the story.

So here is my basic way to move forward.

After I come up with a character’s name, I start to build their profile. First, a good physical description of them is needed so I see them in my mine’s eye: height, weight, hair color and length, eye color, complexion.

Once I know what they look like it’s time to learn who they are? What do they do? Are they rich, middle class, or poor? Does trouble follow them or are they lucky. What are they like, introverted or outgoing? Are they a good person or someone who is self-centered, or enjoys evil for fun?

This is done for all my main characters, good and bad. Then I start to ask “What if?” There begins the plot for me and slowly, a story evolves. Some go quicker than others. And once the first draft is complete, then starts the fun of revisions. But, even there, I need to make sure my characters don’t do something foolish, like change their blue eyes to brown or their black hair to blond.

Once I’ve polished to the best I can, then off to the editor with fingers crossed they won’t find too many things wrong with the plot, and they connect with the characters.

The thing I learned from my experience is to glean from the information out there, but focus on what works for you. Then do it! Or, you’ll be me the past year plus…accomplishing nothing.
_____________________________________________________________________
Lizzie T. Leaf writes spicy Fantasy/Paranormal with a bit of humor set in contemporary times. Her alter ego will release books later this year in new genres. One will focus on life in the modern world, and she is researching for a WWII Historical. When not writing and researching, she is consumed with family, cooking and traveling. You can learn more on her website:  http://lizzietleaf.com/ Follow her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/lizzietleaf And her Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorLizzieT.Leaf/




No comments:

Post a Comment